Thursday 14 May 2015

Seeing the House-Hunting Light: Finding Picture Windows in Property #101


When we started house hunting in New Jersey 10 years ago, we looked at more than 100 houses. I’m not exaggerating-that is the honest truth! Every home that we tried to consider ultimately wasn’t the one for us.

Sometimes, I would set foot in one of these older homes and need to do an about-face. One of my top priorities—or absolute needs—is living in a house completely filled with light. That was a new challenge for our realtor who usually hears different preferences on clients’ wish lists. 

You see, I needed to find a property, where every room had large picture windows. Even though we hadn’t discovered the exact house, I already had a vision for framing the windows with special treatments. My style is simple but elegant—and I wanted that reflected in my personal retreat.

After my rejection of the 99th house for sale, my husband expressed his serious concerns. The lease on our rental was in its last days, and we needed to make an offer soon. Jake is a practical guy and reminded me that we could make changes down the pike.

Have a Vision, and Look Past Current “Décor”

When our realtor, Betsy, took us to see property #101, she encouraged me to look past the current “decor.” When I groaned at the sheets hanging over the windows, Jake stood in front of the door, so I couldn’t bolt. Betsy tried to pull one of those grubby sheets off, so I could see the light flood through the room. 

As I stood near that window, Jake said that a sunbeam was making my hair glow. I could feel the warmth on my head and visualize my dream window seat, where I would spend hours reading my treasured books.

Believe it or not, we ended up buying this house after I recognized its potential. However, I desperately needed to find the most qualified experts handling home interior design in New Jersey. I had a vision, but I depended on these talented designers with the experience and skills to execute every detail.

With their guidance, I was able to achieve the following for all of our window treatments:

     Select the right materials, which were practical yet aesthetically pleasing.
     Create an integrated look, which extended to each room of the house.
     Pick options that were easy to operate and durable for long-term use.
Opening Airy Shades, and Luxuriating in the Light

When I wake up each morning and open the airy shades in every room, I know that we picked the right house. With the help of experts who know about the best home interior design in New Jersey, my vision has become a reality. All day long, I luxuriate in the light.

If you are house hunting, here are some of my tips to help you do the same:

     Focus on the “bones” of the property rather than the cosmetic appearance, which you can change.
     Make one or two items on your wish list essential, and remain flexible about the rest.
     If you plan to remain in the same home for a long period, think about functionality for the future.
Your Questions About Good Design Transforming Problem Spaces

Do you have questions about using good design to transform challenges in your personal space? Would you like to know more about practical yet elegant window treatments? Post your questions and comments below. Then, call Window Designs by Powers to create the home of your dreams today!

No comments:

Post a Comment